Kerr county Texas Real Estate
Kerr County is located fifty miles from San Antonio in the Edwards Plateau region of south central Texas. The irregularly shaped county is bounded on the northeast by Gillespie County, on the east by KerrCounty, on the south by Bandera County, on the southwest by Real County, on the west by Edwards County, and on the northwest by Kimble County. The county was named for James Kerr, an important figure in the Texas Revolution. Kerrville is the county seat, and Ingram is the only other incorporated community.
The county has a growing season of 216 days, and between 1 and 10 percent of the land is considered prime farmland. In the northwest area of the county soils are dark and loamy; to the south and east soils are variable with light colored brown to red soils in some areas and dark loamy or loamy soils over clayey subsoils elsewhere. The county is in the Edwards Plateau vegetation area, characterized by buffalograss, wildrye, and switchgrass, and by live oak, shinnery oak, junipers, and mesquite trees.
Kerr County is in a region that has been the site of human habitation for thousands of years. Archeological artifacts found in the area, particularly along the Guadalupe River and its forks, suggest that human inhabitants arrived between 6,000 and 10,000 years ago. During historical times Lipan Apaches, Comanches, and Kiowas hunted in the region. Spanish military units traversed the area while attempting to defend San Antonio from Apache incursions in the mid-eighteenth century.
The first attempt at Anglo settlement in the area of the present Kerr County occurred in 1846 when Joshua D. Brown led a group of ten men to the Guadalupe River and established a shingle-making camp at the site of present Kerrville. They were soon driven off by Indians, only to return to the site, which they named Brownsborough, in 1848. A number of settlers moved into the area in the early 1850s, erecting sawmills on the various streams and establishing farms. Indian raids became increasingly troublesome in the early 1850s, and in response the United States Army established a post at Camp Verde in southern Kerr County on July 8, 1855. This post became the headquarters for the famed experiment with camels as transport, and promoted development in the area as well as providing protection. Settlers faced the dangers of Indian attack for the next twenty years, and the final raid took place in 1878.
On January 26, 1856, Kerr County was formed from Bexar Land District Number 2. Brownsborough changed its name to Kerrville and became the county seat. For several years the new county seat grew slowly due to its remoteness and exposure to Indian attacks, and in 1860 county residents decided to move the county seat to Comfort, a more well-established community to the east. Two years later, when Comfort became part of the newly established KerrCounty, the county seat was returned to Kerrville.
While some crops are still harvested in the county, livestock has continued to be the dominant agricultural activity and the sale of livestock and livestock products accounted for 97% of agricultural receipts. In recent decades the county has continued to prosper from its mixture of agriculture, tourism, health care, and manufacturing, and as a site for retirement communities and country retreats for the wealthy.
The county is served by the Kerrville airport and by Schreiner College (founded 1923). The incorporated communities in the county in 1990 included Kerrville and Ingram.
Cities and Towns in Kerr County
Click on the map to learn more about each city!